Larissa Nelson is the 2013 California Strawberry Festival Berry Blast Off Recipe Contest Winner!
Here is her prize winning recipe:
Oxnard Strawberry Coconut No-Bake Tiramisu – Serves 6
1 pound fresh strawberries, sliced
¼ cup fresh orange juice, divided in half
¾ cup shredded sweetened coconut
¾ cup canned coconut milk (full fat best)
¼ cup sugar
8 ounces mascarpone cheese, room temperature
¾ cup powdered sugar
½ teaspoon coconut extract
8 ounce container cool whip
Two 3.5 ounce packages of Ladyfingers
*Substitutions: If you cannot find mascarpone cheese, you can use cream cheese. If you cannot find ladyfingers, you can use one 12 ounce pound cake
Other Items Needed
• Shallow bowl
• 8x8x2 pan or six 4-inch bowls
- Prep the strawberries: Wash and slice strawberries and place in a bowl with 2 Tablespoons of the orange juice. Stir gently. Set aside.
- Toast your coconut: Heat coconut in a single layer in a pan over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until golden brown. It can burn fast so be sure to keep an eye on it. It usually will be ready between 7-10 minutes.
- Prepare liquid: While coconut is toasting, combine coconut milk, remaining orange juice (2 Tablespoons) and ¼ cup sugar in saucepan and heat until sugar is dissolved, about 3-4 minutes. Set aside and let cool.
- Prepare filling: Using a mixer, cream together mascarpone cheese, powdered sugar, and coconut extract and continue to beat until just combined. When combined, fold the container of cool whip into the mixture.
- Layer 1: Pour the coconut milk mixture into a large shallow bowl. Dip ladyfingers in mixture letting them soak for a few seconds and then place into an 8-inch square dish or six 4-inch glass bowls. Ladyfingers can be broken to fit the dish(es).
- Layer 2: Spread half of the mascarpone filling over the ladyfingers.
- Layer 3: Arrange a single layer of strawberry slices over the filling, drizzling a bit with the liquid from the strawberries. Sprinkle strawberries with half of the toasted coconut.
- Layer 4: Add the last layer of soaked ladyfingers. Drizzle ladyfingers with remaining coconut milk mixture.
- Layer 5: Spread remaining mascarpone filling over the ladyfingers.
- Layer 6 (top): (At this point you can serve right away or let sit overnight). Just before serving, top with remaining toasted coconut and sliced strawberries.